You can feel fall in the air here in the Haverhill area. You know what that means – it’s almost furnace season. Hopefully we’ll get some time between seasons where we can leave our windows open, but you know how unpredictable New England weather can be. The perfect time to get your annual furnace service and make adjustments is before you have to use your furnace. That way, you have a better chance of saving money this season.
Here are a handful of tips to help you potentially save money a littler earlier this year.
- Schedule furnace service. Furnace service may sound like something that happens when your system is having problems, but getting an annual furnace tune-up is vital to extend the life and efficiency of your system. Your annual service will also help you catch any smaller problems before they become bigger ones.
- Adjust your thermostat. This seems like an obvious tip, but if you go into this fall and winter with your thermostat set a few degrees cooler than usual, you may not notice much of a difference comfort-wise. But, you will see a difference on your utility bill. The rule of thumb is that every degree cooler you set your thermostat saves you about 3% on your utility bill.
- Get rid of drafts. If your home has drafts coming in through windows or under doors, you could be losing a lot of heat. Get out the caulk and weather stripping and get to work. For those of you that are on the craftier side, Pinterest has a lot of inventive and adorable ways to stop drafts, just search for “draft snake” or “draft stopper”.
- Change your filters. This is an important thing to do to help out with efficiency throughout the year. A dirty filter causes a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on your system which will negatively impact your efficiency and your indoor air quality.
- Look into a high-efficiency system. When your certified Climate Zone technician is performing an annual furnace service, ask them about the efficiency of your system and if there could be more cost-effective, high-efficiency models available.
It’s the perfect season to start saving money. The team at Andrew DiPietro’s Climate Zone are here to help you throughout the year, 24/7. If you need to schedule your annual furnace service or just want to talk with someone about improving efficiency, give us a call at (978) 872-1190. Or, if it’s more convenient for you, set up an appointment with us online using our online scheduler.